I received my first dose of chastisement during school yesterday (that’s right, on Saturday—we have school on Saturday). It was the end of my Health Economics class, and everyone was packing up their things and talking amongst themselves. I was putting things into my backpack and whistling to myself, when I hear my professor start hissing at me. I look over at him and he motions for me to come over to him. “Why are you whistling?” he asks me angrily. I’m stunned, of course, but my background in national television interviewing has taught me to think on my feet. “Uh, I’m very sorry, Sir. It will never happen again.” I stammer. “Whistling is not allowed!” he confirms, “Now return to your seat!”
I passed him in the hall later that day, and was again summoned with a barrage of sharp hisses. When I turned around, he gave a couple snaps of his finger to indicate the pressing nature of his beckon. I let out a long sigh secretly in my head and marched over to him. The conversation went as follows:
Professor: What do you have to say for yourself?
Me: I’m very sorry, Sir (assuming he was referring to that morning’s incident).
Professor: What you have done in the class is a serious offense! Whistling will not be tolerated!
Me: Yes, Sir. It will never happen again.
Professor: Did you think this would be tolerated?
Me: Well, Sir, actually I was not aware of that rule, but I know now, Sir, and it will never happen again.
Professor: You must be aware in the classroom!
Me: Yes, Sir.
At this point, he grunted loudly for good measure and walked away. When I told my Indian friends, they laughed at me, but confirmed that whistling doesn’t violate some cultural law of India. I’m assuming he just hates children.
While I certainly plan on watching my step in the future, the whole ordeal was absolutely hilarious and definitely worth the beating.
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you're an incredible story teller. you should turn this into a book of essays when you get back.
Post a Comment