In case you haven't heard, there have been a series of terrorist attacks in India during the last week.
In Bangalore, 9 bombs went off throughout the city within minutes of each other during the busy Friday lunch rush. The devices were set on timers and despite their low-intensity, 2 people were killed and 12 others were injured. Besides a jammed cellphone network, I was more or less unaffected by the blasts, although two of them did go off in my neighborhood. On Saturday, a live bomb was diffused in a mall that Joey and I walk through (or next to) everyday, which is a little unsettling.
In Ahmedbad, a city about 929 miles from Bangalore, 17 more bombs were detonated on Saturday. This attack was far worse with 46 people accounted dead so far and 161 people injured. A little-known group called the "Indian Mujahideen" has claimed responsibility for this second attack. They also claimed to have carried out the attack in the western city of Jaipur in May where 63 people were killed.
I was a little nervous while all this was taking place, and I half-expected every vehicle that passed me to explode. People have returned to life as usual though, so I guess I might as well too. My friend, Aj Mal, from Afghanistan has told me, "Small bombs, small bombs, no problem", so I'm doing my best to take solice in that.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's great to hear that you're safe, and, it seems like, thriving in India. It's nice to know what's going on in your part of the world these days.
Oh, and Jessica and I hiked 31 miles yesterday. We went from Walton to Lake Isabel to Two Medicine Pass to Cobalt Lake to Two Med.
Post a Comment